The Joomla Project announced the release of Joomla! 3.6.0
With this release, Joomla continues down the path or enhancing features and increasing reliability, while making it easy to update.
A total of 755 bugs were fixed since the last release, and many tweaks and updated have been made, to make the life for the Site Admin, the Developer and the Joomla user easier.
Some of the new features in 3.6 includes:
- Joomla! Update has been improved and now allows you to reinstall Joomla’s core files at the click of a button, overwriting any modified file(s) and reverting them back to the default.
- Joomla! 3.6 contains a lot of UX improvements. Now you can find your modules faster, have tasks done by dropdown, improved user management and so much more...
- With the new Sub Form Field function in Joomla! 3.6, we added some extra additional functionality next to Repeatable fields. Now you can nest XML forms inside each other or reuse your existing forms inside your current form.
- Create categories on the fly: It can get frustrating when you create a new item, and you realise that you haven’t created a category yet. Joomla! 3.6 now lets you create a category on the fly for articles, contacts, newsfeeds and banners.
- Menu type ACL: ACL in the backend did not exist at the menu level, now we have improved that. Give or block certain user groups access to a specific menu, and therefore also all menu items of that menu.
- See what's in your menus with All Menu Items: The new option to show all items from all menus gives you a quick overview of what is displayed where on your website. It has never been easier to spot duplicated links, missing menu items or just get an overview of every menu on your site.
I've tested the update from 3.5.1 and everything went smoothly, but remember to be safe and always make a backup of your website before you update or upgrade Joomla.
If you have version 2.5 or earlier of the Joomla CMS, you need to do a bit of research before upgrading to the current version, to make sure your installed extensions are compatible.